Social Services

Social Services - Kristina Rhoades

During the COVID-19 Pandemic, County offices are closed to the public. We are operating while following the Public Health Orders set by the State and County. All services are available via phone, email and paper communication.

1557 Greene St
PO Box 376

Silverton, CO 81433

Phone: 970.387.5631

Fax: 970.387.5326

Our Mission

The mission of the Department of Social Services is to provide prevention, protection, advocacy, and support services to families, children, and adults so they can maximize their quality of life, well being and potential. San Juan County's Social Services Department is dedicated to serving people. It consists of a variety of programs, many of which are mandated and regulated by state and federal law. These programs offer a wide range of public assistance to children, elderly, disabled and low-income residents.

Health Insurance
Open Enrollment for health insurance is open through April 30. Uninsured Coloradans can apply for health insurance through or by calling 855-752-6749.

Emergency Financial Assistance related to the COVID crisis:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

  • Must have at least one child under the age of 18 or be pregnant
  • Household's gross annual income bust be under $75,000
  • At least one adult household member must be a US citizen or in the US legally

Colorado Peak website 
Apply online or with paper applications located on the table outside of the Social Services office in the Courthouse:

  • TANF
  • Food Assistance (SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • Financial Assistance for adults who have disabilities and/or are age 60 or older

Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

  • This program is run by Discover Goodwill
  • The season has been extended through August 2020 or until funding runs out
  • Apply by phone at 866-432-8435 or at the Colorado Peak website

Energy Outreach Colorado

  • Payment assistance with energy bills
  • Must apply for LEAP first if you qualify for LEAP
  • You can apply twice from October 2019 - September 2020
  • Pays bills totaling $1500 or less (usually propane and electricity)
  • Required: Completed application, Photo ID, and the bills that need to be paid
  • Return to the Social Services Office

Commodities Distribution

  • Last Tuesday of every month unless otherwise posted
  • Must qualify with Kristina Rhoades before receiving

Child Protection

Everyone in the community plays a role in the prevention of child abuse and neglect. If you have concerns about a child's safety and well-being, you can report your concerns to Human Services or law enforcement, any time of day or night. If it is an emergency or you are witnessing a child in a life-threatening situation, call 911 immediately.

For situations that aren't emergencies:

  • La Plata County Human Services main number 970-382-6150
  • La Plata County Human Services child abuse and neglect reporting number 970-385-6438
  • Central Dispatch 970-387-5531
  • Toll-free Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline 844-264-5437 (844-CO-4-KIDS)

Calls reporting child abuse and neglect will be recorded for monitoring and quality assurance purposes.


For more Social Services information contact Kristina Rhoades
Phone: 970.387.5631

Fax: 970.387.5326