Calculating Property Taxes

How to estimate your property tax

Brochure: Understanding Property Taxes in Colorado

Actual Value x Assessment Rate x Mills = Property Taxes

  • Actual Value is set by the County Assessor and can be found on Notices of Valuation and Tax Notices
     
  • Assessment Rate is set by the State Legislature and the Gallagher Amendment. Current rates are:
    • 0.29 for non-residential property
    • 0.0715 for residential property
       
  • Mill Levies are set by local taxing entities and limited by the TABOR Amendment. The sum of Mills that apply to a given property is used to calculate taxes. 
    Mills are more typically expressed multiplied by 1000. The figures below are in the format ready to multiply to calculate 2019 property taxes. 2020 Mill Levies will be set in December 2020.
    • 0.019729 San Juan County (all property in SJC)
    • 0.013646 School District #1 (all property in SJC)
    • 0.010560 Town of Silverton (property within Silverton)
    • 0.008020 Durango Fire Protection District (property in S. County)
    • 0.004030 SW Water Conservation District (all property in SJC)

      Sum of 2019 Mill Levies for San Juan's 3 tax districts:
    • 0.044338 Property within Town of Silverton
    • 0.041978 Proprety in South County
    • 0.033778 All other property in San Juan County

Effective Property Tax Rates
Another way to express the above is with effective tax rates (assessment rate x mill levy/1000).

2019 Effective Property Tax Rates
  Residential Non-Res
Town of Silverton 0.32% 1.29%
South County 0.30% 1.22%
Remainder of County 0.24% 0.98%

 


Pay Property Taxes Online
The link above will take you to the Treasurer's payment page hosted by Pueblo County.


Property Tax Estimator


Annual Abstract of Assessment

The Abstract of Assessment is produced each January and provides information on the assessed value of property in San Juan County. The brochure also provides the tax rates and revenues for all taxing entities in the County, and the distribution of taxes by type of taxing authority. San Juan County currently has 3 tax districts and 5 taxing entities. The 2020 Brochure will be available in January 2021.

Abstract of Assessment Brochure 2019

AbstractofAssessment1
 
Abstract Inside
 


Gallagher Amendment

The Gallagher Amendment to the Colorado Constitution, approved by the voters in 1982, limits the residential share of property taxes to no more than 45% of property tax revenue. Taxes on a non-residential property (vacant land, commercial, etc) account for the remaining 55%. The State Legislature adjusts the residential assessment rate each reappraisal year. From 2004 to 2016, the Residential Assessment Rate (RAR) was 7.96%. In 2017 the rate dropped to 7.2%. For 2019-2020 the RAR dropped to 7.15%. As of May 2020, the RAR is projected to continue dropping for 2021-2022. For more information, refer to the Colorado Legislative Council regarding these amendments, or the Constitutional Provisions page of the Colorado Department of the Treasury.


TABOR Amendment

The Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (TABOR) Amendment controls the amount of revenue that local governments and taxing entities can collect and spend. However, if an entity has “de-bruced,” some or all of the restrictions placed on the amount of revenue they can collect and spend imposed by the Tabor Amendment have been lifted. Additionally, Colorado State Statute sets a 5.5% limit on the annual percentage increase that taxing entities can increase their revenues. Some taxing entities have had this revenue restriction removed by the voters. You can get this information directly from each taxing authority or from the Department of Local Affairs, State of Colorado, at 303-864-7720.